Clear V-KOOL Window Film Blocks Solar Heat Better Than Tinted Films
With electric power blackouts and soaring electricity costs predicted for the summer of 2001, Californians looking for ways to reduce energy will find V-KOOL applied window film for use on existing glass a proven tool in cooling off temperatures and the cost of air conditioning.
"Our network of professional installers in California anticipates a record breaking spring and summer," says Marty Watts, president and CEO of V-KOOL, Inc., international distributor of V-KOOL applied window film.
While energy deregulation may be complicated and confusing, the best way to cut air conditioning cost is simple and straightforward: keep solar heat from entering windows and reduce the need for, and cost of, air conditioning. Whether at home, the office or the shopping mall, windows are the weak link in keeping solar heat from boosting temperatures, stressing air conditioners, consuming scarce electricity and creating monster utility bills.
"Over the past few years, V-KOOL applied window film has established a track record in reducing air conditioning operating cost in retail, institutional and residential structures throughout California," says Marty Watts. V-KOOL applied window film is recognized as the first non-tinted and almost colorless window film capable of blocking over half the sunâs heat yet being essentially clear.
Conventional non-clear mirrored and tinted window films block unwanted solar heat but block daylight which darkens interiors. V-KOOL blocks more heat than tinted films while transmitting almost as much daylight as clear glass. Plus spectrally-selective window films like V-KOOL don't change the color and look of existing glass so the original appearance of a home or building is not sacrificed to achieve energy efficiency.
Spectrally-selective refers to the ability of window film to select or transmit desirable daylight while blocking out undesirable heat. Only 47% of the sun's energy is seen by the eye as visible light. The other 53% of the sun's energy adds unwanted heat. A window should let in desirable daylight and block unwanted solar energy which causes over-heating.
The following table shows how different kinds of glass and applied films transmit light and heat.
* The lower the shading coefficient, the lower the solar heat gain.
V-KOOL applied window film is reducing the cost of air conditioning at Blockbuster Video stores in Lawndale and Northridge and at Chevron service stations from San Jose to Redding.
V-KOOL is a trademark of V-KOOL, Inc., Houston, TX, a sales and marketing distribution company of heat reflective applied films for residential and commercial architectural, automotive and specialized vehicular applications.
V-KOOL, proudly participates in Energy Star® a voluntary partnership among the U.S. Department of Energy, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, product manufacturers, local utilities and retailers. Energy Star partners promote energy efficient products using the Energy Star logo and by educating consumers about the benefits of energy efficiency.
V-KOOL's solar control films are manufactured by Southwall Technologies, Palo Alto, CA, whose window film technology was recognized by Popular Science as one of the 100 greatest inventions of the past millennium.
Posted on Thursday, March 1, 2001 by Marty Watts, President & CEO, V-KOOL, Inc.
13805 West Road, Suite 400
Houston, TX 77041